Thursday, September 2, 2010

Steroids and Savouries

It is so hard to comprehend what has happened in the last week and a half - it still seems to be a bit of a dream for both Marc and I (and everyone else too I'm sure).

I had just started a new chemo drug for my lung mets a couple of weeks ago, and found that I was really struggling with the side effects, especially headaches and nausea. I had a scheduled MRI scan on Friday 20th August, so they could "rule out" any nasties up there.

Well, Friday came around - and within 20 minutes of the brain scan we had received the news that the cancer had spread, and we were dealing with 4 brain tumors, and significant swelling on my brain (no wonder my head felt like it was going to pop open)!!
Immediately we were started on high dose steroids (not for sale sorry Mr Harris), to get the swelling down, and we will start Whole Brain Radiation on Friday as the first plan of attack.

The last week has been a little overwhelming - which the steroids have not helped with. I feel "ramped up" all of the time, and just CANNOT stop eating (seriously I would steal a cheeseburger from a small childs hand if I passed them in the street)!! Hopefully when the dosage is reduced I will be able to drop the weight back down and not have such an addiction / obsession with food. Poor Marc and Mumsie - I've got a million task lists going at any one time - they are struggling to keep up!!!

Well, today we are having a quiet day - off to meet Sue for lunch and then we are having a lovely special dinner tonight with Marc, Mumsie and Me - should be delicious!!!!

It has been tricky at work as well, as I have been trying to pass over a lot of my responsibilities within a short time frame, which has been a little rushed - and not the way that I would have wanted to leave at the moment after being here for so long. We will just play it by ear and see how I'm feeling after the Brain Radiation. One up side to it all - I got out of the GST/Price Increase project (Sorry Norman, Leanne, Karen and Ben) - had to throw that one in there!!!

Marc's Mum (Mumsie) flew in on Tuesday to help us, as at this stage I can't drive or be left alone, and she has been wonderful. My Mum will be over in the not too distant future too which will be great too.

Lou
x

7 comments:

  1. As per usual, handling everything with your usual courage and style!!
    Lots of love to you - our precious Lou Lou, Marc, Millie and both your families.
    Please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can help out with...
    Lots of squishes and kisses -
    Gina, Cory, Jalen, Shadow, Duke and Tilly
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MarcLouMillie
    We had a neat night looking after "The Mil".
    She was a perfect little girl!

    Next time we babysit,k you two need to be going out for a romantic dinner. You promise?

    Love you heaps
    Penny and Armin and Hollie and Meggie
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    PS This blog is so professional, I think you could be a computer programmer Lou - nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lou, Marc and Millie

    Lou, just wanted to say I so admire you and how you are coping. Thinking of you, especially today. Lots of love and hugs to you all. Pam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solveig & I admired the picture of you going into the machine with both thumbs up. We love your attitude and though we are on the other side of the world we are with you.

    Peter & Solveig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lou and Marc,

    Have just learnt about this blog thanks to Auntie Delia! I think I am now a follower but not sure - no photo as yet from me!
    Can you believe it - never been on Face Book ever but have HAD to become a blogger!!
    Please stay positive and we are thinking of you in Sunny Enland. Dont lose your sparkle and go steady on the cake:)
    Miss you. Love Sal, Steve, Toby and Tia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought at my age I am so modern !!! Now on your blog !!! I love your courage and I am with you every minute and Marc and Millie.
    Plenty of rooms for you here in Sydney...even my car available as I am not allowed to drive for 6 weeks (had my bunions chopped off last Thursday !!) MUCH MUCH love
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Maman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Lou,
    What a really neat idea this blog is - beats telling the story a million times and everyone is kept up to date with your progress. You are ingenious. Thanks for giving me the site - I will be signing in regularly to watch your steady walk to good health.
    The pics are fantastic and you and Millie look adorable.
    Lots of love, S W

    ReplyDelete