Saturday, October 16, 2010

Good things come in 3's

It was a triple tick Friday!!!

Firstly, my best friend from Melbourne - Gina - arrived to stay with us for the weekend.

Secondly, we had a CT scan on Friday morning to see what was causing the swelling below my left eye, as there was a possibility that I had a new brain tumour (it looks as though I have been punched in the face!). The results came back and it is just some inflammation from the radiation (the symptoms from the radiation are really only starting now - sore head etc), so nothing to worry about - and ALL of my previous brain tumours have "reduced significantly"!!!! The large tumor that they were really concerned about (that potentially needed brain surgery) is now "barely visable" - so that was just the BEST news ever. Dr Moller and I read the report together and were just over the moon.

THIRDLY - we had our conversation with my amazing AU Oncologist, Fran, and I have been accepted into part of a new trial drug from England, that is based in Sydney (and potentially Melbourne)!!!! It is a "named patient program", so Fran has thrown my name into the ring so to speak, and I have been accepted!!! I will travel to Sydney by Wednesday next week, have the treatment on Thursday, and the following Thursday, and spend 10 days in Australia in total to be monitored. There is a possibility that I can have the second treatment in Melbourne - however we will see how I go with the initial treatment - it is all so exciting!!! The main side effect is hair loss - so that is no issue :)

We just could not believe our luck.

Gina arrived yesterday, and we have had a great time. Today we went for breakfast (mmmm....eggs benedict), and then to Mission Bay where we walked along the beach in the sun, eating waffle cones from Movenpick Icecream. Tonight we are heading to our local Indian Restaurant for dinner....and then we will plan what we are going to do tomorrow before Gina leaves to go home to her boys (and Tilly Cat).

Lou
x

11 comments:

  1. Well Lou, lucky for me that Gina is with you and I can beat her with the first comment lol.

    What a fabulous week and the news you deserve so much. We are thrilled to pieces and cant wait for this drug to get the little demon once and for all.

    Just keep enjoying the weekend and have lots of fun with Gina and give Millie a big hug from us, love to Marc as well of course.

    Love you Both, we are very excited
    Love
    Mum & Stuart xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lou
    Thinking of you

    With love from
    Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lou!!! I am sooo happy for you! What fantastic news!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend with Gina... The ice cream sounds YUM!

    Have a safe trip back over to Sydney, the trial sounds really good! YOu have a fab team looking after you!

    Thinking of you, and sending lots of hug!

    Jac xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous and envious of your friend Gina who was with you for all those GREAT news.
    You know that my offer for Sydney stands more than ever. Millie welcome as well, Francoise's doggy (Clover) loves having friends !!!!

    Your "blog" made my day and I love you all
    GrrrrrrrrrrMaman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou and Marc,

    That is the best news that I could have EVER woken up. For sure good things come in 3's and boy did you deserve it!
    Bring on the new treatment from England....do you think they would let me bring it over to you?!

    Love and hugs Sal and Tia Grace xxx

    Ps - can anyone help me get my photo on that little piccie thing up on the right of the screen? I have tried my best but failed :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY LUCKY WIG RUB WORKED!!!! HOORAY!! (it might explain why i'm not $27 million dollars richer tonight though.... (lol)) - but you know what I don't care it's the best news ever that good things are happening to YOU! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU GO GIRL!!! Wonderful news!! Solveig and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic news Lou!!! :)
    Hope you guys are having a great weekend...
    Luv Juliana xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou I am sooooo excited for you - that is the best news ever!!!! Would love to see you when you are in Sydney.
    All my love
    Mindi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky, special girl I am to have besties like you, Marc and Millie!

    Thanks guys for a FABULOUS weekend!
    I was delighted to be there for the brilliant news of reduction in tumours and acceptance to this new trial ... I couldn't be happier for you guys! xxx

    Looking forward to seeing you all again soon!

    Until then - sending you lots of love - G, Cory, Jalen and the furkids
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howard and I are thrilled with your great news and are both looking so forward to seeing you in Sydney. Hope the post radiation ills are already over and you are feeling great today. The weather will hopefully be good for the duration of your stay. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete