Friday, November 5, 2010

Getting things under control....

Over the last week, my health has deteriorated quite dramatically, especially in relation to my breathing. I am getting out of breath walking up a couple of stairs, and have to walk quite slowly to keep my breathing under control.

As a result, Marc and I spent 3 hours at the Auckland Hospital yesterday to see how we can get the situation under control until we fly to Sydney next Thursday. After blood tests, and x-rays, they have decided to increase my steroids AGAIN........(seriously someone is messing with me!), and they will start me on a "take home" oxygen pack to help me until the "clever little sea sponge" kicks in. The chemo is obviously only just starting to kill some of my cells from  the infusion a couple of weeks ago, as my eyebrows and eyelashes have only just started falling out over the last couple of days.....and apparently this new treatment can take a couple of cycles to fully kick in. The steroids will be help reduce the inflammation on my lungs (and increase the inflammation on my face - seriously.....what is all of that about)??? - and the oxygen will help me breathe normally again.

The funniest thing happened yesterday - as we got in the car to go to the hospital - I asked Marc to bring my shoes for me. Well, we were nearly at the hospital and I asked Marc where my shoes were - and his face just sunk! We were in hysterics at the thought of me walking (at a snails pace) into the hospital with NO shoes on.....what a look that was! Anyway, we quickly explained the situation to everyone we bumped into - and had a little chuckle with the staff. The only thing that was missing was my "Proud to be a Westie" T-Shirt!

This weekend will be a quiet one, depending on how I am feeling. Obviously food will play quite a large part in our plan due to the steroids.....so perhaps Indian for dinner tonight, and eggs on toast for breakfast in the morning....mmm!! Marc is an absolutely amazing cook - so I have already put in a request for my top 5 favourite recipes x

Millie is doing really well. We have actually had her for one year tomorrow, and what a fantastic year that has been. She is such an affectionate little thing, and is just ALWAYS happy - she is perfect!

Marc is doing well. He is exhausted after his 2 hour "oxygen" training session....and is now feeling pretty confident with his new machinery!



The last week has been a little stressful and unplanned as you can imagine, however now we have a "plan" and we are getting things under control, we are feeling much better.....and are counting down the days until we get my next infusion of the treatment.

Lou
x

18 comments:

  1. Stay strong Lou, you are amazing!!! Thinking of you as always, luv Juliana, Brett & Tajie xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D
    SO happy to hear that things are a bit more under control and the plans are in place! XXX

    We love you guys ... and just quietly, I think Marc could have a part-time job as a product model - perhaps holding one of the Deal or No Deal cases, or draped across a luxury car at a motor show!? ;-P

    LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
    ...and a HUGE happy one year anniversary in the Killeen family to little Millie Moo! XXX

    Speak soon!
    Lotsa Luv, G, Cory, Jalen, Shadow, Duke and Tilly
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma Cherie,
    With your diary WE are getting through the highs and the lows at the Killeen's NZ home. We love the highs and we don't know what to say for the lows but this is the reasons we are ALL here to support and love you and of course this fantastic husband of yours. I noticed that Marc near the oxygen machine has no shoes....are you wearing his ?
    Millie is full of love for you and knows exactly what you are going through....One year already, it seems only yesterday that you were telling us about the addition to the family.
    lets turn the page for this week and we ALL are with you with your "plan" for getting things under control.
    Have plenty of REST and you favorite food !!!!
    Much much LOVE
    GrrrrrrrrMaman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou and Marc,

    I am back! Have been in France for a week with Mum and Dad. Firstly, what is going on? Gina was not the FIRST person to add a comment today! She is slacking:) Secondly, best you put your feet up this weekend.....from the look of your photos you have been one busy bee. Go steady else Marc will be dragging that O2 machine everywhere!
    I hope you have a lovely weekend together and enjoy being spoilt by the boss/chef/expert machine operator a.k.a Mr Killeen.
    Love as always Sal xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, not sure he is suppose to be the one hooked up to the machine, hehe it probably relaxes him though after his stressful training session.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou,

    Me again! Just three words to make you smile over the weekend....
    Sellotape
    Umbrella
    Chandelier

    Thinking of you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou, sending you a lot of big hugs and you are in my thoughts! I'm out to lunch today so I will be sure to order up big esp on cake....Ohhhh cake!
    Big belly scratches to Millie too!
    I think you are so strong and amazing! You are one SPECIAL gal!
    Lots of love to both you and Marc

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We couldn't agree more with Rose-Maries comments re the highs and the lows of reading your diary.
    Know you are always in our thoughts, stay strong, our love to you both.


    Tracey and David

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Lou
    Just to let you know that we are thinking of you guys So much and love the humour even though things must be really tough right now. Keep your shoes on and get better for the next dose of "stuff" in Sydney. Hope to see you then. Lots of Love Lou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of love and thoughts and best wishes for you Lou! xxxx Coby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lou lou and Mark and Millie :) just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you guys HEAPS and missing you all around the office poor - Armin looks all lonely so you just get all those nasties zapped away and all sea sponged up and come home soon so I can give you girls a cuddle, ok? (and Marc too if he really wants one but that could be a little weird lol!) :) Love Ness xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Guys
    Good to see nobody can take away your sense of humour!
    Just thought I'd check in and say we were thinking of you and sending you our best wishes.
    Of course I also thought a few lines of humour might help a little.

    Letter to Mens Helpline:-


    Hey Mate, I really need your advice on a serious problem:

    I have suspected, for some time now, that the missus has been cheating on me .
    The usual signs; The phone rings, if I answer the caller hangs up, going out with the girls a lot at night ..... etc. etc.

    I try to stay awake to look out for her when she comes home but I usually fall asleep.

    Anyway last night about midnight I heard a car, so I hid in the shed behind the boat, the car door opened and she got out buttoning her top, then she took her panties out of her purse and slipped them on .....and blew the driver a kiss as he drove off.

    It was at that moment, crouched behind the boat, that I noticed a "hairline crack" in the outboard motor mounting bracket ..................

    .....is this something I can weld myself or do I need to replace it ??

    On that note, i'd better go
    Love to you both
    S&D

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE YOU GUYS!!! SO MUCH!!!
    XXX

    We're thinking of you - as per usual!!

    Speak soon!
    G & The Gang
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK OK Gina.....You are sitting behind the computer as well !!!!

    I love you too Louise and Marc

    GrrrrrrMaman

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sitting by the computer too...although its the morning with me.
    I love you too (along with Gina and GrrrrMaman:)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What can I say - I can't help myself GrrrMaman and Sal!!!
    :-)

    I always check this blog a million and one times a day ... sorry for the false visit stats, Lou and Marc! LOL!

    We all love them and want nothing but the best for Lou Lou and Marc.
    WE LOVE YOU!!!
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lou and Marc,

    Like your other obsessive blog follower aka Gina G, I am thinking of you too. I must confess that whilst Tia was at school today I embarked on a massive spring clean of the house (in order to focus my mind on other things). Well, you will be pleased to know that I have now got a lovely, sparkling house and feel cleansed myself:) So now I am an obsessive blog checker/message composer and house cleaner.
    Sending you all my love, Sal xx

    ReplyDelete